Mar 22, 2007

Thermal Trial #1: Passed


I finished the body! Actually, I finished it a couple weeks ago, but I'm still happy about it, so, yay! Not that I look particularly excited, but I swear I am. That's 3 skeins of sock yarn there, and part of it I ripped and re-knitted when I decided to make the body longer. I wonder if the number of stitches in the body alone would have made a whole sweater out of worsted-weight yarn. With matching pants. Not that I would ever wear them (together).

I like working on smaller needles, even if it takes twice as long to knit something. It's easier for my fingers to tension the yarn, and you get into a good rhythm. The finished product is less-bulky, too, which is a plus in Southern California. It means I can wear my sweater in the daytime, too.

So, onto the sleeves, and then seaming. Oh, and an aside: I found the perfect cast-on for 1x1 twisted rib. I know many people use the tubular cast-on, but I've found that looks a little sloppy with a twisted rib since the top edge pulls the halves of the knit stitches apart when stretched, but the rest of the knit stitches tighten when stretched because they're twisted. I hope that makes sense. So the solution is (drumroll, please) the Channel Islands cast-on from Montse Stanley's A Knitter's Handbook. There's only one drawing of it in the book, and almost no info on the web (believe me, I looked) so I was thinking about writing up a tutorial. Hopefully I can find my socks so you can compare the difference between the two cast-ons.

2 comments:

Maggie Tipping said...

Those buttons are nice! I always find it hard to find buttons that I think are actually nice enought to deserve to be on my sweaters! It still doesn't have buttons yet though.

Good call making it longer, I wish I had done the same.

Maggie Tipping said...

Yeah and the really great thing about the petal bib is that if you are careful you can usually squeeze out a pair of baby booties with the same 50 gram skein.